Tuesday, December 31, 2013

My husband divorced me in 2006. We were married since 1993. I never saw any paperwork, never signed anything, have no idea what the divorce ...

Question

My husband divorced me in 2006. We were married since 1993. I never saw any paperwork, never signed anything, have no idea what the divorce decree says. I was very trusting of him and he told me that he would take care of everything. This is what happens when you fall in love at 14 years old and get married at 18. I totally trusted whatever he said was truth.

I'm now finding out that he signed my name on all the papers and also made some deal where I am responsible for all of our debt. He also made four times the amount of income I did. I realize it would be too late to do anything about this now, but would I have had some kind of right to spousal support? I was practically on the streets after our divorce. And I'm not joking. I lived in cheap motels for two years because I had nothing. He got everything. But since I'm sure that's a moot point by now, my main question is: Did he have the legal right to sign my name on the divorce papers? Now that I've gotten older and wiser, I wonder if he possibly told me to let him handle everything so that he could take advantage of my not being present. Now I'm hearing that if someone doesn't show up for a divorce proceeding, the one who does show up pretty much gets what they want. Anyway, sorry for the long-winded questions, but I am really concerned about this. I am going to my county clerk today to get a copy of the divorce decree to see what it actually says. Thank you.



Answer

Because it's been six years since the divorce, you are out of luck.

No, he did NOT have the right to sign your name on anything. That's called forgery.

You may be able to get an equitable bill of review - go see a lawyer about this; it is much too complicated to be dealt with in this forum.



No comments:

Post a Comment