Saturday, March 22, 2014

20 days to respond to lawsuit.I was served for a lawsuit on the 7th and the court date is the 19th and it says I am supposed to have 20 day...

Question

20 days to respond to lawsuit.

I was served for a lawsuit on the 7th and the court date is the 19th and it says I am supposed to have 20 days to repond after I am served what do I do?



Answer

Re: 20 days to respond to lawsuit.

I am assuming that you mean the 7th and 19th of the same month. If that is the case, you should call the judge's case coordinator and explain the situation and tell her that the trial date needs to be moved because you have not had an opportunity to respond, conduct discovery, or prepare for trial. You need to confirm your conversation in writing and provide a copy to the opposing attorney.

Additionally, it is vital that you respond to the complaint within the time allowed. Failure to respond could result in a default judgment.

Finally, I would advise that you seek an attorney in your area to help you through the process.



No comments:

Post a Comment