Friday, March 28, 2014

My daughter's father did not respond to the custody papers I filed and sent to him. What is my next step? Do I need to file more papers with...

Question

My daughter's father did not respond to the custody papers I filed and sent to him. What is my next step? Do I need to file more papers with the Colorado district court and if I do what form do I need to file?



Answer

If you are filing initial custody papers (that is, for Allocation of Parental Responsibilities), you need to file the petition and case information sheet with the court and then have him personally served by the sheriff or a process server. Then if he does not respond, you can ask the court to set a hearing, You will have to mail him notice of the hearing to give him another chance to show up (the Courts are reluctant to go forward with only one parent). It might help to have a lawyer if he is being difficult. Hope this helps.



No comments:

Post a Comment