Sunday, April 20, 2014

I am currently in a lease with an apartment complex in Dayton, OH. I have had so many problems with this complex not even a month after I ha...

Question

I am currently in a lease with an apartment complex in Dayton, OH. I have had so many problems with this complex not even a month after I have moved in. I am dealing with very untruth and unethical people of management. I have went so far as to getting a lawyer and he wrote a letter on my behalf stating laws and inquiring about an escrow account. The lawyer that is representing the apartmetn complex wrote my lawyer back with so many lies about what they have done and all sorts of things. I have so much documentation to prove the lies including recordings. What can I do to get out of this lease properly and possibly get my money back? I am going to set up an escrow account but I need some more advice. Unfortunately I had to get rid of my lawyer due to him never communicating with me at all.



Answer

In Ohio, if a landlord is not fulfilling his duties under Ohio Revised Code Section 5321.04, you can turn to your remedies in Ohio Revised Code 5321.17 which are outlined here:

http://www.ohiolandlordtenant.com/faq1.html

This talks about escrowing the rent and/or terminating the lease agreement if the conditions are so serious that that is warranted.

One last way to get out of a lease for failure to repair is to call the city code inspector and bring them out to the home. If they find that the conditions are bad enough, they will issue a 24 hour emergency eviction order tossing you out of the place in 24 hours and then they will come by and board it up.

You want to time this inspection though so that you will have a group of people standing by to get your stuff out of there and also to a time when you have a new place to go to.



No comments:

Post a Comment