Saturday, July 26, 2014

Joint Banking accountsI had a joint banking account with my mother. I moved back east for a year. When I applied for a car loan three years...

Question

Joint Banking accounts

I had a joint banking account with my mother. I moved back east for a year. When I applied for a car loan three years later I found that she had writen bad checks that i had no idea about. Obviously I closed that acount with her. but they had gone to collections and I was stuck with them. she declaired bankrupcy and I was stuck with everything. She wants to pay them now is there anyway of having a collection company moving the dept from me to her. Since I was not involved in bouncing the checks. Or is there anything that can be done to clear them off my credit. I don't even mind paying for them but the fact that I have collection accounts on my credit is what I want fixed.



Answer

Re: Joint Banking accounts

You can negotiate with the holders of the bad checks to release you from liability as they are paid off. Make sure that they also give you a release in writing, which you can send to the credit bureaus.



No comments:

Post a Comment