Sunday, September 28, 2014

How can I protect my mothers money from my sister who claims to have power of attorney from being able to further abuse her funds? For three...

Question

How can I protect my mothers money from my sister who claims to have power of attorney from being able to further abuse her funds? For three years my sister continued to spend my mom's retirement check through a joint account that she had set-up when my mom was living in N Carolina with her. My mom has been back in Houston for three years. In May 2011, my sister decided to send me the check card for the account so that I can buy personal items for my mom. When I took over the account it was $263 in the account (The monthly check amount is $268). My mom is 87 years old and has moderate dementia. Her needs are very basic, so it does not require a lot to take care of the things she needs. Now that the account balance has grown to $1,800, my sister is trying to her hands on my moms money again. I had to have the old account closed when I discovered that she had ordered a replacement bank card. I now have joint account with my mom and her retirement check is routed to the new account. What steps do I need to take to become POA for my mom's affairs? My goal is to keep my moms money safe. I downloaded the past 18 months of account activity from the joint account that my sister had with my mom. The transactions clearly show that she was abusing my mom's money. I have kept accurate records and have made copies of all the receipts of the purchases that I have made on my mom's behalf. Please advise me on what my next steps should be.



Answer

You've done all you can and should do regarding the bank account. You've done a good job there. Regarding the POA, you need to get your mom to sign a new one that revokes her previous one. You can get a free POA form from my web site at www.powerdaley.com.

Good luck!!



No comments:

Post a Comment