Thursday, December 25, 2014

My girlfriend is afraid that if my ex runs my background he will have grounds in their custody battle. He is a police officer and hasn't ask...

Question

My girlfriend is afraid that if my ex runs my background he will have grounds in their custody battle. He is a police officer and hasn't asked to run a background check but she is afraid to even let him see my car to run my tags although he knows she is seeing someone. The worst that might be on my record is somewhere between 8-11 years ago I was arrested for shoplifting which i believe was just a misdemeanor (paid a fine and a few weeks probation) and a another time was charged with trespassing (on my own apartment! - long irrellevant story) which again i just paid a fine but didn't do any time or anything serious like that. Other than that I'm just your average joe with no other trouble in the last 8+ years... pretty stable. Even been with the same company for the last 10 years. Should she be worried about her Ex running my background with my past history? Thank you.



Answer

Generally, when a parent brings up an issue of the other parent's boyfriend or girlfriend (a.k.a., "paramour"), the court will look at whether the paramour presents any risk of harm to the parties' children. Separated or divorced parents are allowed to date and, given a reasonable amount of time, introduce the children to their paramours. However, if a paramour has a history of drug abuse, sexual abuse, child abuse, or other extenuating circumstance, then the other parent may seek intervention from the court, and the court may restrict whether the children are allowed around the paramour. Without knowing any more facts about your case or reviewing the relevant paperwork, it sounds like a 10-year-old shoplifting misdemeanor charge isn't going to affect your girlfriend's custody and visitation with her kids. DISCLAIMER: Please be advised that this is general information for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. It is strongly advised that you contact a local attorney to obtain legal advice specific to your case.



No comments:

Post a Comment