Saturday, February 28, 2015

HI! I was wondering if probate was still possible in my case. My grandma passed away in Aug 2000. Probate was never done on her property, he...

Question

HI! I was wondering if probate was still possible in my case. My grandma passed away in Aug 2000. Probate was never done on her property, her children (my mother & 2 aunts) could care less and I was told since I was not next of kin, my hands were tied even though I handeled all her funeral arrangements, paid for everything, etc. Her house has set empty, being broken into & vandalized. I believe it was in 2007, a couple of people created a fake deed and sold the house commiting fraud. The Los Angeles DA has since infrmed me they have gone to jail and they sent me paperwork stating her house was restored to her and my grandfather as the owners. I have that paperwork as well as all death certificates, deeds, etc. Is this something I can do after 11 yrs... even if I am not next of kin? Thanks for your time. Her home is in Bloomington, CA



Answer

Anyone with a potential interest in the assets of the estate can file for probate at any time. Your mother might get chided by the court for not having done so, but the title to the property can not change without a probate occurring. The probate is filed where your grandmother lived. You should read some of the Nolo Press books on probate, estates, etc. as they are in understandable language.



No comments:

Post a Comment