Thursday, June 26, 2014

I signed a 12 month lease with 2 other housemates. The lease contains an "Early Termination Fee" which requires a fee plus a 30 day written ...

Question

I signed a 12 month lease with 2 other housemates. The lease contains an "Early Termination Fee" which requires a fee plus a 30 day written notice.

My question is if I want to move out early, can I do that if the other housemates don't want to or will I continue to be held liable for rent? By filing this notice, can I force the other housemates to move out or do all parties need to be in agreement?



Answer

You cannot unilaterally exercise the clause. The three of you and the landlord need to work out an agreement for a new roommate to substitute in for you, or you remain liable for the rent.



No comments:

Post a Comment