Friday, October 24, 2014

I received a call on a bill I thought I had already paid. I had not received anything regarding the debt in the last 5 years. Nothing in wri...

Question

I received a call on a bill I thought I had already paid. I had not received anything regarding the debt in the last 5 years. Nothing in writing, no calls, but now they are trying to collect for this debt, and still have not sent me anything in writing. I cannot find the receipt for the payment. Can they collect on a debt that is over 5 years old without having sent me anything, or without having tried to contact in the last 5 years?



Answer

In Missouri the general limit is ten years in which to birng suit. There are many factors that effect teh determiantion of when the ten year period starts. PErhaps the time has alaredy run out. In that case , it is unlawful for any colector to call about an expired debt. Perhaps you shoud consutl directly with an atotrne in yrou area to dtermine if they coudl still sue you, and consequently a collector coudl stil be calling you. Many attorney offer a free or low cost initial consultation. Take what ever docuemnts youhave regarding this alelged debt with you. and be available for their follow-up questions.

Good luck



No comments:

Post a Comment