Wednesday, April 23, 2014

My Ex Wife is sueing me for part of my retirement because of I am being held in contempt of the court. But I never had a Retirement when we ...

Question

My Ex Wife is sueing me for part of my retirement because of I am being held in contempt of the court. But I never had a Retirement when we were married. Is it legal for he to do so in the state of Maryland?



Answer

If you had no accrued retirement benefits at the time you were divorced, your ex isn't entitled to any now. Even if you did have benefits at that time, if the court at the time of the divorce didn't grant any benefits to your ex, or didn't reserve the ability to do so in the future, and it's been more than 90 days since you got your divorce, it's too late for your ex to go after them. I don't know what your reference to being held in contempt of court is, but if it's related to your retirement benefits, it may be that you were ordered to share them at the time you applied for them and are now refusing to comply.



No comments:

Post a Comment