Tuesday, August 19, 2014

If my divorce agreement states that my child can choose where she lives at the age of 12, do I have to honor her wishes? The divorce was don...

Question

If my divorce agreement states that my child can choose where she lives at the age of 12, do I have to honor her wishes? The divorce was done in Colorado, I live in Texas and the other party lives in Vermont she's been living with him for the last few years but I no longer feel this is best for her.



Answer

I think you need to transfer the case to Vermont where the child now resides.

I don't know Vermont law. Texas does not have anything that says a 12 yr old can select where she lives.

I had a case many years ago where 15 yr old wanted to live with Dad very badly. Sister (over age of 18) testified that brother and father smoked pot together every day -- child did not go live with Dad and Dad got supervised visits due to endangering the child. Sometimes kids don't know what is best for them!

www.familylaw4u.com

713-847-6000



No comments:

Post a Comment