Sunday, March 22, 2015

Dear Sir/Madam,Although I have never received a summons, I 've received a letter from a Cook County law firm stating explicitly that a lawsu...

Question

Dear Sir/Madam,

Although I have never received a summons, I 've received a letter from a Cook County law firm stating explicitly that a lawsuit has been filed against me regarding a Chase credit card account. The lawsuit involves an organization that I have never done business as the plantiff and comes after my written dispute of an amount assigned to me from the Chase credit card account. The card was originally issued by Washington Mutual but was overtaken by Chase. I have searched Cook County Circuit Court reccords with the case number stated on the letter and have found nothing matching my name. I will call the clerk's office to make certain. My question: what are my legal remedies against this law firm should I find their assertion to be false (ie there is no lawsuit pending even though they have given me written notification) and simply a scare tactic used to force me into paying an inaccurate debt? Thank you for any assistance that you can offer.



Answer

If in fact they claimed that there was a court case pending and there was not, they have clearly violated the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, as well as several ethical rules.



No comments:

Post a Comment