Tuesday, January 27, 2015

I recently signed up for a gym membership and paid a prorated rate for September and the full amount for October upon signing the contract a...

Question

I recently signed up for a gym membership and paid a prorated rate for September and the full amount for October upon signing the contract and charged it to my credit card, which was $31.03. When I reviewed my credit card statement online, I saw they charged me $38.13. I called to find out why it was more and they said that their employee had miscalculated the prorated September amount, and that my total really should have been $38.13, but since it was their employee's mistake, they would credit me back the $7.10. They did credit it back to me, but then immediately charged me for it again. I called, again, to ask why and the woman said her manager had reversed the charge so that they could still collect on the different.

I have a signed credit card slip and gym contract for $31.03, not $38.13 - can they legally charge me more than what I authorized and what they stated I owe them?



Answer

No, they cannot do it. They are subject to all the same rules we all live by.



No comments:

Post a Comment